Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Flip Flops on the Shore Card

Hello!  I'm so glad to be back.  Last week was so busy I didn't get to make anything!!!
Today I made a card inspired by a project I saw on the PTI forum.  I don't know how they achieved their "waves" lapping the shore but here is my take.
 I used the Flipping Out die for the flip flops but I do not own the coordinating stamp set so I made them by cutting out two of each (one card stock and one patterned paper).  I trimmed the patterned die cut to be slightly smaller than the card stock one.
 Now for the waves.  First I made my bottom layer out of sand paper.  Then I cut 3 pieces of Hawaiian Shores card stock into different heights by tearing them roughly.  Next I inked the edges with white ink and heat embossed them.  I love how they came out.

I also rubbed a little tea dye distress ink onto the sand paper to vary the color.  I blinged up the flowers with stickles and gems.  

For a more masculine card I left the bling off and didn't layer the flip flops.
 I didn't put a sentiment on these cards so they can be used for any "summery" message I need to send.
 When I attached the 3 layers to the sand paper base I had to use glue instead of ATG tape.  The tape will not stay on the sand paper.
It needed a little something more so instead of the bling I added some hemp at the bottom.

My Supplies:
Flipping Out die  -  Papertrey Ink
Sand Paper
Summer Bliss 6x6 paper pad  -  Echo Park
Hawaiian Shores, Tropical Teal and Rustic White card stock  -  Papertrey Ink
Whisper White Craft Ink  -  Stampin' Up
Clear Embossing Powder
Tea Dye distress ink
Tiny Attacher and staples
Yellow Stickles and gems
Natural Color Hemp

I'm glad you stopped by today!  I hope you enjoyed my project.  I will see you soon!!!

5 comments:

Crafting Katie said...

Wow! These turned out AWESOME!!! Love the "waves"!!!

Kim H said...

Cathryn ~ Oh my goodness! I didn't know there was more than one! EEK! These turned out BEAUTIFUL! How clever of you to trim the one layer for a design! CLEVER! Well I LOVE the waves and YES ~ glue is the only thing that will adhere to sand paper! I learnt the hard way a few years back! LOL!!!

jessica said...

This is awesome Cathryn!! LOVE the waves and those flip flops are super cute!
What a GREAT card!

Cindy Beland said...

BEAUTIFUL job with both cards Cathryn, LOVE your sweet little flip flops!!! Have a great day my friend :)

jordanbev5@yahoo.com said...

Fabulous stamping and technique! REady for summer!